I am an Associate Professor at the Computer Science Department, University of Crete (2019-) and
collaborating researcher at the Institute of Computer Science (ICS), Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH) (2009-).
Previously I was an Assistant Professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Ioannina (2014-2019)
and a Research Staff Member with IBM Research (2003-2009).
My research interests revolve around the following areas:
- Distributed computer systems
- Scalable data store technologies
- Cloud computing, lifecycle management of multi-cloud applications
- Distributed service management
- Scalable fault-tolerant stream-processing systems, Internet of Things (IoT)
Read more about my research
This is a partial list of projects I have participated in over the years:
- The PaaSage European FP7 collaborative project (2012-2016), which aims to deliver an open and integrated platform to support model based lifecycle management of Cloud applications.
- The CumuloNimbo European FP7 collaborative project (2010-2013), which delivered a highly scalable multi-tier transactional platform as a service (PaaS)
- The STREAM European FP7 collaborative project (2008-2011) contributed a scalable fault-tolerant stream processing platform supporting a variety of applications operating on streaming data
- The ScaleWorks FP7 project (2009-2011) had the objective to improve the entire lifecycle of scalable distributed systems from design to engineering, prototyping, deployment, and operation, on contemporary cost-effective high-performance platforms
- The Galapagos project (2006-2009) at IBM Research contributed a model-based approach to distributed systems management with a focus on data and storage
- Research on the structure and performance of the Direct Access File System (2000-2004) received two best paper awards and helped shape industrial standardization efforts around direct-access (RDMA) interconnects
- The Symposium and Summer School on Service-Oriented Computing, Hersonissos, Crete, Greece
- International Master in Services Engineering or IMSE
I am an Associate Professor at the Computer Science Department, University of Crete (2019-) and collaborating researcher at
the Institute of Computer Science (ICS), Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH) (2009-).
Previously I was a tenured Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Ioannina, Greece (2014-2019).
From 2003-2009, I was a Research Staff Member at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center in Hawthorne, NY and taught at Columbia University, NY. Before that I was a graduate student at Harvard where I received my Ph.D. in 2003.
I can be contacted via email (use my last name) at ics.forth.gr (professional) or gmail.com (personal).
My postal mail address:
N. Plastira 100
My office is Γ-150. Here is information on how to reach ICS-FORTH