Department of Computer Science and Engineering
University of Ioannina
Institute of Computer Science
Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas
My research interests revolve around the following areas:
- Distributed computer systems
- Scalable data store technologies
- Cloud computing, lifecycle management of multi-cloud applications
- Distributed systems management
- Scalable fault-tolerant stream-processing systems, Internet of Things (IoT)
I am currently participating in the following projects:
- The CumuloNimbo European FP7 collaborative project (2010-2013), which delivered a highly scalable multi-tier transactional platform as a service (PaaS)
- The ScaleWorks FP7 project (2009-2011) had the objective to improve the entire lifecycle of scalable distributed systems from design to engineering, prototyping, deployment, and operation, on contemporary cost-effective high-performance platforms
- The STREAM European FP7 collaborative project (2008-2011) contributed a scalable fault-tolerant stream processing platform supporting a variety of applications operating on streaming data
- The Galapagos project (2006-2009) at IBM Research contributed a model-based approach to distributed systems management with a focus on data and storage. Galapagos further contributed a built-to-order service engineering approach for enterprise IT discovery
- Research on the structure and performance of the Direct Access File System (2000-2004) received two best paper awards and helped shape industrial standardization efforts around direct-access (RDMA) interconnects
I am currently an Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Ioannina, Greece, and affiliated faculty member with ICS-FORTH in Heraklion, Greece.
From 2003-2009, I was a Research Staff Member at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center in Hawthorne, NY and taught at Columbia University, NY. Before that I was a graduate student at Harvard where I received my Ph.D. in 2003.
I can be contacted via email (use my last name) at ics.forth.gr (professional) or gmail.com (personal).
My postal mail address:
N. Plastira 100
My office is Γ-150. Here is information on how to reach ICS-FORTH