Yannis Marketakis is a R & D Engineer at Information Systems Laboratory (ISL) - Institute of Computer Science (ICS) of Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH). He is also a member of the Semantic Access and Retrieval group.
I was born in Heraklion, Crete. This is the place i grew up, studied and currently live. I mostly spent my childhood in Herkalio and the places my parents grew up. My father's birth place is a village called Roussa Ekklisia (~10 km from Sitia). My mother's place is a mountain village called Anogeia (located at the slopes of Psiloreitis mountain).
I graduated from High School in 2001 and joined the Department of Applied Mathematics of University of Crete. In 2004 I joined Computer Science Department where I received my Bachelor degree in 2008 and my Master of Science on Information Systems in 2010. From 2007 until 2010 I've been member of Information Systems Laboratory (FORTH-ICS). The next year found me in the army (where I visited several places including Kalamata, Aylonas, Cyprus).
Nowadays I live in Iraklion and work as an R & D Engineer at the Information Systems Laboratory of Institute of Computer Science, FORTH. When I have free time I enjoy moving around with my wife Katerina and my beloved daughter Maria-Anna. I also enjoy travelling around with my bike.
You can find my detailed CV here.
- •Dimitrakis, Sgontzos, Papadakos, Marketakis, Papangelis, Stylianou, Tzitzikas. On Finding the Relevant User Reviews for Advancing Conversational Faceted Search4th Workshop on Sentic Computing, Sentiment Analysis, Opinion Mining, and Emotion Detection at ESWC2018, Heraklion, Greece, 2018. PDF link
- •Papangelis, Papadakos, Braunschweiler, Stylianou, Marketakis, Tzitzikas. Information Navigation via Spoken Dialogue and Linked DataDemo paper at ICASSP'18, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 2018. PDF link
- •Marketakis, Minadakis, Tzitzikas. The Global Record of Stocks and Fisheries(poster). 11th scientific retreat (FORTH), Heraklion, Crete, Greece. October 2017. PDF link, web link
- •Tzitzikas, Marketakis, Minadakis, Mountantonakis, Candela, Mangiacrappa, Pagano, Perciante, Castelli, Taconet, Gentille, Gorelli . Towards a Global Record of Stocks and Fisheries. 8th International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies in Agriculture, Food & Environment, September 21-24, 2017, Chania, Crete, Greece PDF link, slides
- •Mountantonakis, Minadakis, Marketakis, Fafalios, Tzitzikas. Connectivity, Value and Evolution of a Semantic Warehouse. Accepted for publication as a book chapter in "Innovations, Developments, and Applications of Semantic Web and Information Systems", IGI-Global
- •Marketakis, Minadakis, Kondylakis, Konsolaki, Samaritakis, Theodoridou, Flouris, Doerr . X3ML Mapping Framework for Information Integration in Cultural Heritage and beyond. International Journal on Digital Libraries, pp 1-19. Springer. DOI 10.1007/s00799-016-0179-1 Web link PDF link
- •Minadakis, Marketakis, Doerr, Bekiari, Papadakos, Gougousis, Bailly, Arvanitidis . LifeWatch Greece data-services: Discovering Biodiversity Data using Semantic Web Technologies. Biodiversity Data Journal 4: e8443 (01 Nov 2016), DOI: 10.3897/BDJ.4.e8443 Web link
- •Mountantonakis, Minadakis, Marketakis, Fafalios, Tzitzikas. Quantifying the Connectivity of a Semantic Warehouse and Understanding its Evolution over Time. International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems (IJSWIS) 12(3), pp.: 27-78, 2016. DOI: 10.4018/IJSWIS.2016070102. Web link PDF link
- •Tzitzikas, Allocca, Bekiari, Marketakis, Fafalios, Doerr, Minadakis, Patkos, Candela. Unifying Heterogeneous and Distributed Information about Marine Species through the Top Level Ontology MarineTLO. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Vol. 50 Iss: 1, pp.16 - 40, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/PROG-10-2014-0072 PDF link
- •Minadakis, Marketakis, Bekiari, Doerr, Bailly, Gougousis, Nikolopoulou, Mavraki, Arvanitidis.. LifeWatch Greece Data-Services: On Supporting Metadata and Semantics Integration for the Biodiversity Domain. In 13th International Congress on the Zoogeography and Ecology of Greece and Adjacent Regions (ICZEGAR'2015), Heraklion, Crete, October 2015.
- •Allocca, Doerr, Bekiari, Bailly, Minadakis, Marketakis, Mavraki, Nikolopoulou, Arvanitidis. Ontologies and Linked Open Data in the LifeWatch Greece Research Infrastructure. In 13th International Congress on the Zoogeography and Ecology of Greece and Adjacent Regions (ICZEGAR'2015), Heraklion, Crete, October 2015.
- •Minadakis, Marketakis, Kondylakis, Flouris, Theodoridou, Doerr, De Jong. X3ML Framework: An Effective Suite for Supporting Data Mappings. Workshop for Extending, Mapping and Focusing the CRM - co-located with TPDL'2015, Poznan, Poland, September 2015. PDF link
- •Tzitzikas, Kargakis, Marketakis. Assisting Digital Interoperability and Preservation through Advanced Dependency Reasoning. International Journal on Digital Libraries (Special Issue on Semantic Digital Archives) DOI 10.1007/s00799-014-0131-1. Link
- •Tzitzikas, Minadakis, Marketakis, Fafalios, Allocca, Mountantonakis, Zidianaki. MatWare: Constructing and Exploiting Domain Specific Warehouses by Aggregating Semantic Data. In proccedings of the 11th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC'14), Anissaras, Crete, Greece, May 2014. PDF link
- •Mountantonakis, Allocca, Fafalios, Minadakis, Marketakis, Lantzaki, Tzitzikas. Extending VoID for Expressing Connectivity Metrics of a Semantic Warehouse. In 1st workshop on Dataset PROFILing and fEderated Search for Linked Data (PROFILES 2014) - co-located with ESWC'14. Anissaras, Crete, Greece, May 2014. PDF link
- •Tzitzikas, Minadakis, Marketakis, Fafalios, Allocca, Mountantonakis. Quantifying the Connectivity of a Semantic Warehouse. In proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Linked Web Data Management (LWDM 2014), in conjunction with the 17th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT 2014). Athens, Greece, March 2014. PDF link
- •Tzitzikas, Allocca, Bekiari, Marketakis, Fafalios, Minadakis. Ontology-based Integration of Heterogeneous and Distributed Information of the Marine Domain. ERCIM News 2014 (96), Special theme: Linked Open Data, January 2014. Web link PDF link
- •Marketakis, Tzitzikas,Tona, Argenti, Marelli, Albani, Guarino, Polsinelli, Bitto . On Harmonizing Earth Science Policies, Semantics, Metadata and Ontologies. In proceedings of the International Conference PV'2013 (Ensuring the Long-Term Preservation and Value Adding to Scientific and Technical Data). Frascati, Rome, Italy, November 2013.
- •Tzitzikas, Alloca, Bekiari, Marketakis, Fafalios, Doerr, Minadakis, Patkos, Candela . Integrating Heterogeneous and Distributed Information about Marine Species through a Top Level Ontology.In proceedings of the 7th Metadata and Semantics Research Conference (MTSR'13), Thessaloniki, Greece, November 2013. Web link
- •Riddick, Glaves, Marelli, Albani, Tona, Marketakis, Tzitzikas, Guarino, Giaretta, Giammatteo. SCIDIP-ES - A science data e-infrastructure for preservation of earth science data. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts, Vienna, Austria, April 2013.
- •Riddick, Glaves, Marelli, Albani, Tona, Marketakis, Tzitzikas, Guarino, Giaretta, Giammatteo. The SCIDIP-ES project-towards an international collaboration strategy for long term preservation of earth science data. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts, Vienna, Austria, April 2013.
- •Tzitzikas, Marketakis, Kargakis. Conversion and Emulation-aware Dependency Reasoning for Curation Services. In proceedings of the 9th Annual International Conference of Digital Preservation (iPres'2012), Toronto, Canada, October 2012. PDF link
- •Shaon, Giaretta, Crompton, Conway, Matthews, Marelli, Giammatteo, Marketakis, Tzitzikas, Guarino, Brocks, Engel. Towards a Long-term Preservation Infrastructure for Earth Science Data. On proceedings of the 9th Annual International Conference of Digital Preservation (iPres'2012), Toronto, Canada, October 2012. PDF link
- •Fafalios, Kitsos, Marketakis, Baldassarre, Salampasis, Tzitzikas. Web Searching with Entity Mining at Query Time. In proceedings of the 5th International Retrieval Facility Conference, IRF'2012, Vienna, Austria, July 2012. PDF link
- •Tzitzikas, Marketakis, Antoniou: Task-Based Dependency Management for the Preservation of Digital Objects Using Rules. In proceedings of the 6th Hellenic Conference on Artificial Intelligence. SETN'2010, Athens, Greece, 2010. PDF link
- •Marketakis, Tzanakis, Tzitzikas: PreScan: Towards Automating the Preservation of Digital Objects. In Proceedings of the International ACM Conference on Management of Emergent Digital EcoSystems, MEDES'2009. Lyon, France, 2009. PDF link
- •Papadakos, Theoharis, Marketakis, Armenantzoglou, Tzitzikas: Mitos: Design and Evaluation of a DBMS-Based Web Search Engine. In proceedings of the 12th Panhellenic Conference on Informatics, PCI'2008, Samos, Greece, 2008. PDF link
- •Theodoridou, Tzitzikas, Doerr, Marketakis, Melessanakis: Modeling and Querying Provenance by Extending CIDOC CRM. Distributed and Parallel Databases 27(2). 2010. Web link
- •Marketakis, Tzitzikas: Dependency Management for Digital Preservation using Semantic Web Technologies. International Jounral on Digital Libraries 10(4). 2009. Web link
- •Tzitzikas, Marketakis: Automating the Ingesstion and Transformation of Embedded Metadata. ERCIM News 2010, Issue 80, 2010. Web link PDF link
- •Tzitzikas, Marketakis, Christophides, Preservation of Intelligibility of Digital Objects, in D.Giarretta ed. Advanced Digital Preservation, Springer 2011. Web link PDF link
- •Armenantzoglou, Marketakis, Kriara, Apostolopoulos, Papavasiliou, Kampas, Kapravelos, Kartsonakis, Linardakis, Nikitaki, Bikakis, Antoniou: FlexConf: A Flexible Conference Assistant Using Context-Aware Notification Services. OTM 2009 Workshops. Vilamoura, Portugal, 2009. PDF link
- •Papadakos, Theoharis, Marketakis, Armenantzoglou, Tzitzikas: Object-Relational Database Representations for Text-Indexing. In CoRR, Information Retrieval, abs/0906.3112, 2009. PDF link
- •Papadakos, Vasiliadies, Theoharis, Armenantzoglou, Kopidaki, Marketakis, Daskalakis, Karamaroudis, Linardakis, Makrydakis, Papathanasiou, Sardis, Tsialiamanis, Troulinou, Vandikas, Velegrakis, Tzitzikas: The Anatomy of Mitos Web Search Engine. In CoRR, Information Retrieval, abs/0803.2220, 2008. PDF link
- •Marketakis, Conceptual Modeling and Tools for Digital Preservation, Master Thesis, Univercity of Crete, April 2010. PDF link
|GRSF Services||A set of services responsible for the the construction and maintenane of Global Record of Stocks and Fisheries (GRSF). The software sources are available through the D4Science repository|
|X3ML Engine||X3ML Engine is a tool that handles that generation of URIs and the transformation of data resources. X3ML Engine on github|
|MatWare||MatWare is a tool for constructing domain-specific warehouses by aggregating semantic data. The main objective is to tackle the need for having integrated sets of facts regarding a particular domain. MatWare Homepage|
|Timer||Timer is a plugin that can be used for measuring the time when running various tasks in a java program. It is configurable to support aggregate functions over various timers and provides a lightweight solution for benchmarking applications. You can find it at Timer on github|
|GapManager||GapManager is one of the key components of CASPAR. It can aid several tasks related to the preservation of the intelligibility of digital objects. It can be considered as an advanced and extensible semantic registry of data formats. GapManager Homepage|
|Gap Identification Service||Gap Identification Service has been based on GapManager. It has been developed in the context of SCIDIP-ES project. It allows (a) checking the intelligibility/ task performability, (b) identifying dependency-related risks and (c) computing intelligibility gaps. GapIdentificationService info page|
|PreScan||PreScan is a tool for that can aid the automating the scanning of file systems, the extraction of embedded metadata, the transformation of these metadata to ontological instances and also supports the maintenance of such metadata. PreScan Homepage|
|LifeWatch Greece Data Services||LifeWatch Greece Data Services provide the users the appropriate tools to: (a) publish their datasets as Linked Data, (b) import the datasets to the LifeWatch Greece infrastructure, (c) perform information quality improvements and (d) provide the means to efficiently discover datasets. LifeWatch Greece Data Services on github|
Institute of Computer Science, Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas
N. Plastira 100, Vassilika Voutwn, GR 70013 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
(+30) 2810 391629
(+30) 2810 391638
marketak 'at' ics.forth.gr