Antonis A. Argyros is a Professor of Computer Science at the Computer Science Department (CSD), University of Crete (UoC) and a researcher at the Institute of Computer Science (ICS), Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas (FORTH) in Heraklion, Crete, Greece. He received a B.Sc. degree in Computer Science (1989) and a M.Sc. degree in Computer Science (1992), both from the Computer Science Department, University of Crete. On July 1996, he completed his PhD on visual motion analysis at the same Department. He has been a postdoctoral fellow at the Computational Vision and Active Perception Laboratory (CVAP) at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden. Since 1999, as a member of the Computational Vision and Robotics Laboratory (CVRL) of FORTH-ICS, he has been involved in many RTD projects in computer vision, image analysis and robotics. The research interests of Antonis fall in the areas of computer vision with emphasis on 2D/3D tracking, human gesture and posture recognition, 3D reconstruction and omnidirectional vision. He is also interested in applications of computer vision in the fields of robotics and smart environments. In these areas he has published more than 150 papers in scientific journals and refereed conference proceedings.
Antonis Argyros has served as a general co-chair of ECCV 2010, as an Area Chair for ECCV 2016, as a co-organizer of HANDS 2015, as an Associate Editor for IEEE ICRA 2016, ICRA 2017, IEEE/RSJ IROS 2016, IROS 2017 and as an Area Editor of EUSIPCO 2017. He also serves as an Area Editor for the Computer Vision and Image Understanding Journal (CVIU) and as a member of the Editorial Boards of the IET Image Processing journal and the IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters journal. He is also a faculty member of the Brain and Mind interdisciplinary graduate program and a member of the Strategy Task Group of the European Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM).
Antonis is currently Project Investigator for the following projects, dealing with their computer vision-related aspects:
- H2020 Project Co4Robots - Achieving Complex Collaborative Missions via Decentralized Control and Coordination of Interacting Robots
- H2020 Project ACANTO - A cyberphysical social networks using robots friends
- FP7 Integrated Project WEARHAP – Wearable Haptics for Humans and Robots
Here you can check my google scholar profile.
Press and media
- Feb 2013: Καθημερινή, Ελληνική όραση σε ρομπότ
- Jan 2013: ΕΚΤ – Έρευνα και Καινοτομία, Διεθνείς διακρίσεις για ερευνητές του Ιδρύματος Τεχνολογίας & Έρευνας
- Nov 2012: Pathfinder, Ένα βραβευμένο χέρι βοηθείας
- Nov 2012: Xανιώτικα Νέα, Ταξίδι... στο μέλλον
- Jan 2012: Το Βήμα, Νοημοσύνη διάχυτη στο χώρο
- Nov 2007: Καθημερινή, Ειδικές εκδόσεις “The Economist”, Κάνοντας τους υπολογιστές να βλέπουν